Dr. Xuguang Wang, Associate Professor
School of Meteorology
120 David Boren Blvd
Norman, OK, 73072
- Ph.D., Meteorology, The Pennsylvania State University, 2004.
- B.S., Atmospheric Science, Peking University, Beijing, China, 1998.
- 2012 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship
- 2010 NASA New Investigator Award
- 2007 Innovative Research Program Award, University of Colorado/CIRES
My primary research interests lie within the area of atmospheric modeling, with a focus on advancing the skill of numerical weather prediction system. My research foci include
- i) developing new techniques and novel methodologies for data assimilation and ensemble prediction;
- ii) applying these techniques to global scale to convective scale modeling systems to improve predictive skill;
- iii) improving the understanding of atmos-pheric predictability and dynamics through data assimilation and ensemble approaches.
- Fall 2010 METR 4133: Atmospheric Dynamics III
- METR 5990: Ensemble Forecasting Seminar
Thesis and Dissertation finished
Johnson, A.#$, 2011:Clustering analysis, verification and calibration of a convection-allowing ensemble forecast system. MS Thesis. School of Meteorology, University of Oklahoma.
Holland, B., 2011: Effects of sequential or simultaneous assimilation of observations and localization methods on the performance of the ensemble Kalman filter. MS Thesis. School of Meteorology, University of Oklahoma.
Vergara, H., 2011:Assimilating streamflow with the ensemble Kalman filter for improving flood prediction. MS Thesis. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Oklahoma.
Chris Kerr@, 2013: Assimilation of cloud top temperature and radar observations of an idealized splitting supercell. M.S. Thesis. School of Meteorology, University of Oklahoma
Yu Zhang, 2013: Development and evaluation of an advanced regional and global hydro-logical prediction system enabled by satellite remote sensing, numerical weather forecasting, and ensemble data assimilation. Ph.D. Dissertation. School of Civil Engi-neering and Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma
Postdocs and students
Aaron Johnson#$ (Ph.D.)
Brian Holland (M.S.)
Andrew Mackenzie (M.S.)
Jeff Duda (Ph.D.)
Yongzuo Li* (Ph.D.)
Gang Zhang (Ph.D.)
Kefeng Zhu (Ph.D.)
Terra Thompson (Ph.D.)
Humberto Vergara Arrieta (M.S.)
Chris Kerr@ (M.S.)
Xu Lu (M.S.)
Nick Gasperoni (Ph.D.)
Yu Zhang (Ph.D.)
$ Awardee of Yoshi Sasaki Best M.S. publication award of School of Meteorology, 2011
# Awardee of Best Graduate Performance award of School of Meteorology, 2012
* Awardee of Lilly Best Ph.D. publication award of School of Meteorology, 2013
@ Awardee of Best Student Presentation Award from American Meteorology Society, 2014